- Developing the informed insight and phased objectives in the first place
- The ability to strengthen and leverage (or relatively quickly develop) a core competence, layering in protection
- Bringing relative strength to bear against relative weakness, both internally and externally
- Focusing key strengths and energetically applying them to 1-2 promising opportunities
- Having an energetic phased action plan where each phase builds strength and leverages on what has gone before
Strategic Core Competence
At its simplest, we see core competence as a deep meaningful capability, fundamental to the business and which can be leveraged to deliver a significant and sustainable competitive advantage. It should be extremely difficult for a competitor to acquire or copy. Part of our assessment of the business's inputs considers how they impact a company's core strategic competence and not just its short-term performance.
Consider the human body, in order to develop and grow into adulthood we need a plethora of inputs, some hard, for instance food and water, and some soft such as life experiences and cultural habits. These inputs have varying degrees of emphasis over time. A business is no different, it is a living breathing entity and we at APTIM-Solutions focus on those key inputs that are critical to control in the short run as well as fundamentally influencing the ability of a business to grow successfully. We then provide the framework and tools to manage these.